Fortunately, most dog fights are just games or posturing and don’t involve any serious biting. But if things start to get out of control, what should you do?
1. Don’t shout or panic – most dog fights are over in seconds
2. Don’t rush in – you could be injured or make the fight worse
3. Walk away and call your dog – they might lose interest in the other dog and follow you instead.
If the fight escalates:
4. Grab the collars of both dogs and drag them apart
5. Make a really loud noise, ideally with a whistle or personal alarm.
After the fight is over, calm your dog and check them carefully for injuries. If you’re concerned, get them checked over by a vet.
If your dog seems overly aggressive, get a muzzle and seek the help of a professional dog trainer.